The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Monday, February 28, 2005

A couple quick things:
Check out this feel-good story on Tim Wakefield, who seems like one of the nicest people in the world. Unfortunately, I still think he should be the one to go to the bullpen if and when Wade Miller is healthy enough to join the starting rotation. Nice guys always come in last.

Keeping in the pitching vein, Abe Alvarez is scheduled to start a spring training game against the Yankees, which is way cool. Alvarez pitched the first game of a day/night doubleheader last year against the Orioles in which he received a loss, but will be first among minor league pitchers to get called up when the need arises. I can't wait to have a look at some of these minor leaguers I've been hearing so much about. If they pan out and turn into productive Red Sox one day, I will make a bronze statue of Theo Epstein and worship it like a heathen in ancient Babylon because the man not only delivered unto us the Holy Grail, but he also turned around the Unholy Farm System.

And, finally, an article from someone about Millar's continuing quest to improve his reputation as a defensive first baseman. Let me just say that I, for one, really don't think that Millar is that bad at first base, and I'm a little confused as to why he is excoriated for his defensive play. Now, right field is a totally different story - in right field, Millar turns into in a fucking whirlwind nightmare. But on the bag, he's not that bad. The worst memory I have of Kevin Millar defensively was his failure to flip the ball to an on-coming Pedro Martínez in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, and then winding up flat on his belly watching the runner tag up safely. That sucked. But other than that, I think he's just fine. Plus I hated Mientkiewicz.

And I should mention the fickle nature of my character. All winter long I've been whining about how I can't wait until spring training. Now that Spring Training is here, I'm whining about not being able to wait for the regular season to start. Why don't I just shut up?