The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

This is the most boring time of the year. I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up in March. Yes, football is still going and the Pats are still in it, but that only keeps me occuppied on Sundays. The rest of the week is totally boring. Work is boring. We can't play outside right now because a) it's too cold to shag flies, and b) the ground is too wet to toss the football around. If there weren't like a million versions of CSI and Law & Order syndicated on cable every night I might go insane. My situation is getting dire. But every year, just when I think it can't get any worse - boom, spring training starts. I'm glad the SuperBowl is in February this year...that's just less time I have to wait.

There is some minor but good news on the Sox front: Bronson Arroyo and my man Mark Bellhorn, the only two players to accept arbitration from the Sox this offseason, are expected to be close to one- and two-year deals, respectively. I imagine that both will get quite a pay-raise, and deservedly so. Myself personally, I would like to see Bronson around for more than just a year, but there is time to work that out.

Here's an interesting bit on who gets World Series rings this year. Some have speculated that John Henry will give them out to anyone who donned a Sox uni this year, including but not limited to Nomar Garciaparra, Bobby Jones and Abe Alvarez. Johnny Pesky is also expected to receive a ring, which is an awesome gesture. But Bobby Jones?? In reference to this situation, a team official said: "Fifty players wore that team uniform over the course of the season. Who knows what might have happened if it had only been forty-nine." I'll tell you what might have happened. The Sox might not have dropped the second or third game of the season due to Bobby Jones issuing 243 consecutive walks.

And the biggest Big Mouth on the team is at it again. Curt Schilling was on ESPN's Sunday Conversation, and if you want to read the transcripts, here they are. The second biggest mouth on the team was on The Best Damn Sports Show Period last night, calling his mother a MILF on national television while wearing cowboy boots and a tshirt that said "Rebel Son" on it. Classy. I used to not be too big on Millar, but he's grown on me. I have to admit, I kinda like him.