The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Monday, January 24, 2005

First off, let me just let out a big "Fuck Yeah!" for the New England Patriots, who whipped up on the Steelers last night to go to their second consecutive Superbowl. Some asides on this topic:

a) I got to watch the game with this guy I know from Detroit, who is one of those type of people who come from a town with shitty baseball/football teams and will therefore hate on any baseball/football teams who are successful, i.e. the Boston Red Sox and the New England Patriots. This has caused several arguements between him, my husband and I, especially when there is beer involved. So after a couple weeks of listening to this guy try to mumble about how great the Colts and Steelers are while giving Deuling BlowJobs to Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, it was a real pleasure to be able to watch last night's game with him. He quickly changed his tune from "Big Ben! He's the best thing to happen to Pittsburgh since indoor plumbing!" to "Hey, give the guy a break, he's only a rookie!" Get back up on the porch, little doggie.

b) I am very, very happy for Corey Dillon. Here's a dude who was completely villified in Cincinnati, who was hated on by just about everyone in the city, who was completely miserable playing here, who suffered through a shit ton of losing seasons with the Bengals (and I'm talking losing, like 2-14 losing) who is now on one of the winningest teams in football about to play in his first Superbowl ever. That is so fucking cool to me. I think just because I, too, hate Cincinnati that I empathize with the guy, and I'm always happy to see people get the hell out of this city. It will be my turn one day...and not too far in the near future, either.....but that's a post for another time.

And last night, as Mike and I were getting ready to go to sleep, we decided to put on an old Red Sox game and go to sleep with the wonderful drone of Remy and Orsillo in our ears. Mike picked out the tape of the Sox/Indians game we attended in September, 2003.

We left the house at 6:00 in the morning to make the four-hour drive to Cleveland and arrive in time to watch batting practice. Unfortunately, they weren't letting people in the park to watch BP, but we were still one of the first people inside when they finally did open the gates, and we were able to run down to the wall by the visiting dugout and watch the players warm up. This was the first Red Sox game I got to see live, since we live in a National League town, so it was amazing to me to see the players up close and in real life, not just some little dudes running around inside my television. Nomar was doing quick sprints. Kapler was walking around doing arm excercises. Tek walked by with all of his equipment on. Manny and Millar were doing some half-ass stretches while standing there chatting to each other. I was like "Holy shit, that's actually Manny Ramírez...he's like...a real person and shit. Wow." It was cool to realize that they were all just folks, just normal people. I liked that.

The game started. Pedro was pitching, and he was brilliant. The game ended as a 2-0 shutout with the Sox coming away victorious. The only real action of the game - Manny smacking a double off of the outfield wall right below our seats - unfortunately occurred while Mike was standing in line for some Moutain Dew, but we still left happy. Our section of the bleachers started a "Let's go Red Sox" chant which became so loud and boisterous that we were booed by the rest of the stadium and some people in front of us even threw some garbage our way. Which was cool.

Watching the tape of that game last night, I marveled at how, in a year and a couple of months, most of the guys on that team would be World Champions. They, of course, couldn't see it coming...hell, they didn't even know Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS was going to happen to them yet. But I knew the ultimate ending of their story while I drifted off to sleep, and how fucking cool is it?