The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I've been mulling the idea of making an "I'm Sick Of Curt Schilling" post for a couple weeks now, but never have gotten around to it because a) I have no time, and b) it's sort of heretical and I know that people wouldn't be down with the sentiment. But then I read this on Dirtdogs this morning:

Quote re. Pedro Martinez's special treatment: "Those were his own rules. They had been established and in place before I got here. Before Terry got here. He was allowed to do those kind of things and that was something that... yeah, that is different than other players. But, what are you going to do? There was a precedent established before we got here, and it was OK with everybody and hey, the media didn't have a problem with it. So I guess as players it was not up to us to have a problem with it. The fans let it go, and, there's definitely different standards, which I was surprised to see given the passion here. That players are cut a lot of different slack in a lot of different scenarios and situations, but I also again wasn't here for the seven years prior, I didn't get a chance to see up close the things he had done for this city and this team as a performer."

Mistake #1: I actually read Dirtdogs. I hardly ever do, and the reason is that I can't take the hypocrisy and pettiness of whoever it is that runs that site.

Mistake #2: I'm about to say some things totally out of anger and bitterness because Pedro is leaving.

Mistake #3: Who in the fuck do you think you are, Curt Schilling? I'm tired of you trying to talk for everyone else. You just got here, buddy. You came here because you thought the rivalry was a cute, fun, challenging little game you could play. Before you signed with the Sox, you were also considering signing with the Yankees. You only came here so you could play the hero and stoke your already out of control ego. You're like the kid in class who is appointed to watch everyone while the teacher runs off to take a shit, and then actually makes a detailed report on who threw spitballs at the chalkboard when the teacher comes back. Why don't you shut your big mouth for once. Oh. And you're a Republican. *vomits in mouth*

There. I said it. I don't like Curt Schilling. I'm ecstatic that the Sox won the World Series, please never doubt that. And I'll never downplay the role the guy had in the post season. But that doesn't mean I have to like him.