The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Friday, December 03, 2004

I feel like I have been doing a poor job of keeping up with this blog for the past week, but the truth is that it's very hard to get me away from my PlayStation2 these days ever since I picked up a copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. This game is like my own personal CandyLand: Car-jackings. Hold-ups. Drive-bys. Gang-related violence. Muggings. Picking up hookers. Beating crackheads with baseball bats. ::wipes tear from eye:: I love America.

I did read today, however, that the Sox and Tek seem to be getting closer to working out a deal. The latest offer from Boras is still a five-year deal, but with the provision that the contract can be voided after four years if Varitek is injured and unable to complete a certain number of plate appearances or games played. This would seem to satisfy the Sox, who were extremely reluctant to give Varitek a five-year deal. Now if only the two sides can meet in the middle with money - Tek wants $11 million per year, and the Sox are offering $9.

Personally, I would absolutely love to have Tek back, assuming that the Sox can get the contract right. I don't even think I knew how much I would have missed Tek until I read that article in the Herald and felt an actual wave of relief wash over me. Having Tek is definitely better than any other option on the market, or any other option within the Sox organization, for that matter. Kellie Shoppach is getting some extra playing time for Escogido in the Dominican Leagues this year, but by all accounts is still not ready to face major league pitching. Mirabelli is signed on for the next two years, but the Sox have said they have no intent on making him a starter. Tek is the one player on the team whom I wouldn't mind seeing get overcompensated. (I would say Manny, too, but he's already being overcompensated.)

The telenovela that is the 2004 Pedro Martínez sweepstakes is still showing nothing in the way of true progress. I'm assuming that now that the Yankees are seemingly out of the running for Randy Johnson, they may begin to seriously go after Sweet P. Sox are still standing firm at a three-year offer, which is good, because in four years Pedro will probably have about 2% mobility in his right shoulder cuff and will have to get his wife to pour the milk over his cereal for him in the morning.

Oh, and Jason Giambi and Barry Bonds were using steroids! I bet nobody could see that one coming. Wow. What a shocker. And all this time I just thought Giambi had "redistributed" his weight last year and that it was totally normal for men in their late thirties to still have skull growth...what was I thinking? Boy, they really pulled the wool over my eyes. Guess they'll just have to let Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron keep their names up at the top of baseball's most holy and sacred record, which for decades has been reserved for only the best and most amazing players, and not chemically engineered cheaters. Damn. What a shame.