The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Saturday, December 04, 2004


Ever had one of these days at work? Posted by Hello


Everything went wrong for me today. Up to and including dropping ELEVEN orders of sea bass for a party in the upstairs suites. And not just dropping them - oh no - dropping them ALL OVER my mise en place. I had to re-boil and re-slurry my veal jus, throw out my parsley, rosemary, salt and shallots, and drain and refill my steam well. All in the middle of a rush. In addition to cleaning up the sea bass everywhere. It looked like a fucking fish grenade blew up on my station. My only saving grace was that chef wasn't down in the kitchen at the time, but then as he was headed out the door I had to go an apologize: "I'm sorry about that sea bass, sir," I say. "What sea bass? What happened?" chef asks. Shit. Now I have to tell him when I could have just let him walk out the door blissfully unaware that I had taken a huge crap on his food cost for the week. Asi es la vida.

But I did have a good conversation earlier in the shift while we were downstairs butchering sole. We were trying to come up with the "All-Done" roster, comprised only of baseball players who have formerly been great but who are now all washed up. This is what we came up with:
starting pitcher: Kevin Brown
catcher: Mike Piazza
1B: Jason Giambi
2B: Robbie Alomar
SS: Nomar Garciaparra
3B: we couldn't come up with one, but Ken Caminiti got an honorable mention
DH: Mo Vaughn
LF: Barry Bonds (perhaps a little premature)
CF: Ken Griffey Jr.
RF: Sammy Sosa
Coach: Joe Torre
Any additions to this list are welcome.

I have to go fire up the playstation and start a gang war while slowly but surely drinking myself to sleep in a feeble attempt to forget that today ever happened. Goodnight.