The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Okay. This is how I feel about the whole "are they gonna sign Pedro" issue.

1. Pedro is my hero and is a god among men. I have the ridiculous and insane desire to offer up to him all that I hold dear and valuable, like my violin, my cat, my playstation, my baggie of Fenway dirt, even though he probably wears silk boxer shorts that cost more than I make in an entire month.

2. 3.90. That was Pedro's ERA last season. He also finished with a 16-9 record, including the four consecutive starts that he lost in September. Four. In a row. When we most need him to be getting wins.

3. Pedro pitched 27 innings in the post season and allowed 12 earned runs. Derek Lowe pitched in only 19 innings in the post season, but also only gave up 4 earned runs. We're talking about Derek Fucking Lowe here.

4. I don't think it's out of line to conclude, from looking at numbers 2 and 3, and from knowing the fact that Pedro pitched more innings (217) than he has in any year since 2000, that Pedro got tired. And when Pedro gets tired, he gets ineffective. In my opinion, 3.90 ERA and a record of 16-9 would be pretty good if Pedro were number three in the rotation. But he's not, nor would he ever for a second entertain an offer for number three-type money.

5. So after a season with a 3.90 ERA - which still is by no means horrendous -(although up from 2.22 in 2003,) and a 16-9 record, the Sox offered Pedro a contract package that parallels the one that Curt Schilling got last year. More or less the same amount of money, the same amount of years, and the same amount to be earned in bonuses (only minus the World Series clause since the MLB banned that.) Which turns out to be roughly 13 million a year for 2 years with an option for a third year. $13 million dollars a year is, in my mind, sentimental on the part of the Red Sox, given the fact that Pedro seems to be losing some of his effectiveness. I think it's a very reasonable offer and a good sign as to how serious the Sox are about trying to retain Pedro. Unfortunately, I think that offer can and will be one-upped by other teams, like the Yankees for example, but I also think that perhaps the Sox would be willing to go a bit higher as well, seeing as it is bad business to come right out with your best offer.

6. If I'm really honest with myself and remove all personal feelings about watching Pedro pitch in a Sox uniform for the rest of his career and all the gushy heartstrings that are pulled by imagining his number hanging over the right field seats, at the very end, after Jackie Robinson's, and I try to imagine what might be the best thing for Pedro to do as a player, this thought occurs to me: If it is true that Pedro is losing some major zip on his fastball (and it appears that way,) and will have to continue his career with a sort of Greg Maddux, 87 mph fast ball, finesse-pitcher style, staying in the AL East might not be the best thing for him. It seems like just about every team in the AL East hammered him at one or more points in the year. Even the fucking D-Rays, and that stabs my heart to think about. I mean, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for the guy to switch back to the National League where hitters are not so familiar with him. In the AL East people have been seeing his good stuff for years, and now his bad stuff (or mediocre stuff, I should say) isn't fooling anyone. This is just a theory.

7. Holy fucking shit, David Ortiz hit a 514-foot home run. I'm so proud that he's a Red Sox!

Ya, so that's how I feel about Pedro. But above all, I have a lot of faith in Theo to have a great backup plan if Pedro doesn't decide to stick around. Even if I do cry.

The rumor here in Cincinnati and now apparently in Boston is that the Red Sox are looking at Barry Larkin as a replacement for Orlando Cabrera at shortstop. Plus side: Barry Larkin will be cheaper than Little Buddy, Barry Larkin can still hit reasonably well (I saw him hit a pinch-hit grand slam this year against the Cardinals,) and he was extremely popular and revered in the clubhouse by his team mates. The guy learned Spanish so that he could make friends with all the Latin players. He's a really neat guy. However....he's also 40 years old, injury prone, and has had a few run-ins with management over the years (although that might change with a new team, since he has played with the Reds FOREVER and has a lot of baggage here.) Personally, I like Barry Larkin, but I think his years as a starter are probably over. As a bench player he would be awesome.

And that's all I have to say today. I'm getting right back into bed because I don't have to work today and I can.