The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Hello. My name is Pawly. I’m a friend of Sarah’s and she invited me to do a guest post on her blog. You’re going to have to bear with me, I am not as witty as her and I will probably not be very regular, unless someone buys me some Metamucil.

Here are my predictions about who will be on the Sox next year and why (if needed):

Catchers: Doug Mirabelli and Kelly Shoppach. I am a huge ‘Tek fan. I thing he brings a lot of great things to the table: leadership, toughness, handles a pitching staff well. I am not a fan of a 36 year old catcher getting $11 million a year with a no trade clause. Nothing for nothing, Mirabelli handles the pitching staff just as well as Veritek. His offensive numbers are on the upswing. (From 2002 – 2004, AVG .225 – .281, OBP .307 - .331, SLG .411 - .525, OPS .723 - .893). He made $825,000 last year and will want a raise, but I think a 2 year $2.5 million deal is worth it. He knows what it takes to play and win in Boston, plus he uses the Monster well. Look at it this way. For the money you would save on paying ‘Tek next year and signing Mirabelli, you could also sign Carl Pavano and Mike Myers. What’s worth more?

As far as Shoppach, this is do or die time for him. He has spent a full year in both Portland and Pawtucket. If he is going to make the big leagues, this is when he has to do it. It is not necessarily a bad idea to develop a player at the big league level. They can learn to adjust to big league pitching and the coaches at the top level are better. If he doesn’t work out, the Sox can always make a trade or try Andy Dominique, who also is a catcher.

That is all I have to say today. Maybe in the next day or so I will take on 1st basemen.