The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The first winter GM meetings got underway yesterday in Florida. Sox are expected to be going after Carl Pavano and possibly Brad Radke, with Jon Lieber also mentioned in that mix. Barry Zito is another name that has come up for a possible trade to the Red Sox, but I want nothing to do with that little fruitcake. I can't stand that guy and I think he's WAY overrated. And I hate the way he has "Mr. Lucky" written on his glove. Basically, Barry Zito::baseball as Peyton Manning::football, okay?

Elsewhere, either Doug Mientkiewicz or Kevin Millar stand to be tradebait, and I'm going to say that it will be Eyechart who leaves. Millar isn't my favorite player or anything, but I think he's more valuable to the team because a) he can actually wield a bat with some proficiency, b) while he's no Gold Glove first baseman, he's no slouch on defense either, and c) he's a great clubhouse presence and seems to do a wonderful job babysitting Manny.

The Sox are reported to be going hard after Cabby, too, which is surprising. I just assumed Little Buddy would be wanting a long-term deal for mucho dinero, and since the Sox have Hanley Ramírez waiting in the wings I didn't figure they would want to make a long term committment. I would be overjoyed if Little Buddy came back for 2005 since he gives me all sorts of warm fuzzies when he throws his elbows around popping up on second base to break up a double play. Damn, I love that guy.

So Silverman's all like "Damn, we gotta sign Pedro!" and I'm like, "No shit, Sherlock!"

And Manny had to pull out of the Japanese All Star game with sore hammys. Have a nice winter, big guy - can't wait to see your hairdo next February. As for David - keep doin how we do.