The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004


"It's been emotional."

Sunday's game I watched not because I wanted to, but because my husband insisted. Yesterday I watched because I couldn't stay away.
I had this big huge catharsis last wednesday when the Sox let Pedro get the L in Game 2, and ever since then I've been in some sort of baseball zen state. It's kinda nice. I'm just enjoying everything since I am completely and absolutely without expectations. I don't get too wound up about the negative things (Jeter's cheap shot to drive in three runners, the two bad calls on Big DaDa, Cabby grounding into an inning ending double play,) but I still can get happy about the good things. How did I reach this point? I wish I could watch baseball like this all season....maybe this is what it's like to be Manny Ramírez?
Maybe it's just a defense mechanism because I want the Sox to win so badly that I can't even bear the thought of them losing so my brain has totally refused to see the forest because of all the trees in its way.
Who knows.
But it's keeping me sane, it's keeping me healthy, and unbelievably (when compared to the 2003 post-season,) it's keeping me sober.
No matter what happens in New York today (or tomorrow if there's rain,) let it be known that the 2004 Red Sox did not go down without a fight, goddamnit. They have so much heart, and so much courage --- it's been one of the coolest things I've ever seen. And if they do pull off the greatest comeback in the history of organized sports, then they will have fucking DESERVED it. If they don't, I couldn't be prouder. We can all go down with a little dignity.
In other news: i fucking hate gary sheffield more than i ever thought i could hate an individual whom i don't even know, i think he is a loud-mouthed, arrogant, CHEATING piece of shit and i can't wait until the day when all his bullshit catches up to him (a la giambi.) sheffield looked like a little BITCH yesterday, and Pedro proved who the bigger fucking man was, and i hope it keeps sheffield up at night. Pussy.
Um, there goes my zen state of mind. But man, don't I feel better!