The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Here we go.
I've got my Surviving Grady "I Believe" t-shirt on the way, and I plan on wearing it as soon as I get it. Should the Sox win that day, I will wear it until such a time as the Sox lose (hopefully never.) If the Sox should lose that day, I will give the shirt one more try, as is my custom, and should another loss ensue I will retire the shirt until next spring.
Wait a minute.
If I refuse to wear a shirt that says "I Believe" because I think it's bad luck, does that mean that I really don't believe? Because I believe. I do. I really fucking do.
I can't wait until the playoffs start, to see Manny's first play-off homerun (that's right, I said "first," like I expect to see more than one,) Pedro's first strikeout (and there will be many,) Curt's first pre-game prayer on the back of the mound, Ortiz's first double, Bill Mueller's first across-the-diamond put-out throw to first. And one of the things that I'm really geeked about is getting to watch Orlando Cabrera in his first ever trip to the playoffs, because goddamnit he deserves it and I love to watch the little fella play. Prediction: he's going to do fucking great.
Here are my other predictions:
1) Dodgers over Cardinals. (I know this is fucked up since the Cards are my hometown team and are also, obviously, my favorite NL team, but I just have a funny feeling that they're going down.)
2) Astros over Braves. (This isn't so much a "prediction" as it is a function of me absolutely hating the fucking Braves.)
And I don't make AL predictions, because that would involve me making Red Sox predictions, and I certainly don't do crazy things like that.
Now here's my real predicament: should I keep my phone in my pocket during service so that I can discreetly pull it out and check the scores as the games are going on, while I'm stuck at work... or should I just wait and watch the tape of the game when I get home and just pretend like it's happening live? Hmmmmmmm....