The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Thursday, September 23, 2004


There are not enough words. Posted by Hello
I saw it as he rounded second base, a smile fighting its way to the corners of Orlando Cabrera's mouth. He was glancing at his feet, pounding toward third base, then glancing at home plate, around which his team mates were clustered, waiting for him. Rounding third, he couldn't fight it off - a grin broke out heading toward home, and then outright glee, and Orlando Cabrera, a.k.a. Little Buddy, a.k.a. Cabby, was swallowed up in a leaping, bouncing, boiling mass of white jerseys. Both feet came down on homeplate, and then Orlando was swept away.

"How about that win last night?" someone asked me at work today. "It was awesome," I answered, "But I was so mad about the night before that they still have some romancing to do. They have to romance me."
Well. Consider it done. If two consecutive walk-off wins from two of my three favorite players (in case you were wondering, Manny is the third) can't do it, then nothing can. Not that I was ever gone, but the Sox were definitely sleeping on the couch.
Man, I'm so fucking geeked about seeing Cabby get a walk-off homer...that is the coolest thing ever. And I'm so fucking tired cause I busted my ass at work tonight, and all I wanna do is just go to bed, but I just can't stop smiling. Oh man....so many ups and downs. I'm just one person in a long history, in a legacy...just one person living out what so many people have before me - good, bad and ugly - I'm a little piece of a big tradition. When I feel bad I think about that and it makes me feel better. I'm not the first person to be heartbroken over this team. I won't be the last. I'm a penny in the pond, one little patch of memories and emotions in a great big sea of people who have also lived and died with this team. Usually I'm just consoling myself with these thoughts, but tonight I'm revelling in them. I don't know what's ahead, but I'm living it out, and it's exciting.
Fuck it. I'm rambling. Sox win! Sox win!

lol