The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Looking ahead, the Red Sox only play 6 games against a team with an over-.500 record -- those two series against the MFYs. The Sox's record against the Yankees, as we all know, is 8-5, and given the current state of the Yankees and their starting pitching, I like Boston's chances. But what worries me is that eight of the Sox's remaining games - roughly one third of the rest of the schedule - are against the Baltimore Orioles, against whom the Sox have an ignominous 4-7 record. Now, I'm not saying that the games against the Yanks are guaranteed wins and I'm completely looking past them and onto the rest of the schedule. And I'm also not saying that, given the way that the Sox are playing right now, they couldn't whip the tar out of the Orioles. But it's sort of unnerving to imagine the Orioles being spoilers.
I don't know, it's just been on my mind.
But, as Mike said, the Orioles are not the same team they were the last time the Sox played them, and the Sox aren't the same team either.
Anyway, onto the Mariners. Oh - and the Pats tonight! Whooopeeeee!