The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Thursday, September 09, 2004


"The Colossi don't look at all colossal; on the contrary they are quite in keeping with everything about them, as if they were the natural size of man, and we were dwarfs, not they giants." -Florence Nightingale, "Letters from Egypt"

I ran across that quote the other night while looking through an Egyptology book during the game and just thought it was appropriate.
Mike and I had some friends over last night to watch the game, and while they were busy drunkenly arguing over which city had the worst economy - Detroit or Cincinnati - Mike and I were quietly watching Pedro rack up K's and the Sox offense rack up runs, every now and then catching each other's eye and giving meaningful glances and grins. When the two left Mike and I sat around for a little while by ourselves. "I don't know if I've ever seen something like this in my life," Mike said as we watched the game highlights on ESPN news. "It's unbelievable," I answered. "What are we witnessing here? I mean, can we even understand it?"
The cosmos must be shifting, and I'm not just talking about the Streak. It is incredible, but I actually enjoyed reading an article by Dan Shaughnessy. Best quote from Tito ever, r.e. Bronson Arroyo's new cornrows: "I will say this, though," Francona added. "I looked at Bronson yesterday and I thought he'd lost his mind. It's the first time I ever looked in the mirror and was glad I was bald." I can't say I disagree with the sentiment, but who am I to talk about anyone's hair? I've had a mohawk, blue hair, orange hair, green hair, white hair, and am now sporting what my husband calls "The Varitek Fade." So what do I know? (P.S. Mike: I'd rather have a Varitek Fade than the Bellhorn Mullet that you're rocking!)
Tim Wakefield takes the mound tonight against the Seattle Mariners. I think Wakey is due for his bi-weekly win. Let's go Red Sox!