The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Tuesday, September 07, 2004


Check out Papi Grande as he goes deep for the Sox in the third inning. Manny hit one out the at-bat before - BamBam and Pebbles ride again!!

I hate the Yankees, and I hate their fans. Obviously. The Yankees are the most repugnant group of human beings ever to don a uniform and form a professional athletic organization. I have actual and real contempt for the New York Yankees and the loud-mouthed, cro-magnon brained scum that seem to comprise about 90% of their fan base. But the way that I hate the Yanks isn't the same way that I hate the Oakland A's - probably my second least-favorite team in baseball. I loathe the Yankees, but I just think that the Oakland A's are too ridiculous to take seriously enough for an emotion like loathing. I hate the Oakland A's like you hate mosquitos when you're on a picnic, or the way you hate walking back to your car and finding a parking ticket underneath the windshield wiper. They're a silly, harmless nuisance. They are the biggest bunch of whiners and crybabies I have ever seen, and I was laughing with delight last night when the Colisseum turned into a circus of booing and thrown debris. Those people live like animals.
What started it? A blown call. The call was definitely blown. It was the top of the eighth inning and Mark Kotsay hit a ball that was headed for left field but dropping fast. In comes Manny, charging the ball, and my heart turned suddenly a-rhythmic like it always does when I see a well-hit ball heading toward left field. Manny dives, Manny rolls, Manny comes up with the baseball. "Holy shit!" I exclaim. But then comes the dismay from the Oakland bench and the NESN replay: the ball hit the field and bounced into Manny's glove. While it was a brilliant trap, it wasn't an out. But the umpire wouldn't reverse the call. The A's go down 1-2-3, the score remains 4-3. And the Sox go on to score four more runs in the eighth thanks to the complete inability of Oakland "closer" Arthur Rhodes to get anyone out. And just to twist the knife a little once it was already stabbed in, Mark Kotsay made almost the exact play that Manny did in the top of the ninth inning, only Kotsay wasn't credited with an out.
I do feel kind of bad about the blown call, but every sports fan has known the self-righteous indignance that comes from being on the wrong end of a bad official ruling. Shit happens. But I'm glad that the shit happened to the A's. Redman vs. Lowe tonight - I will be cheering harder for Lowe than usual, you can believe that.