The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Remy and Orsillo shocked me tonight by revealing that the Sox are actually only four games off of their 2003 pace. That fact was almost inconceivable to me, and made me feel like a real Chicken Little, (Oooooh, I said the L-name!) yet it was appropriate that it was brought to my attention during tonight's 2003-esque performance. The Sox followed up a three-run fifth inning with a five-run sixth, all five runs coming with 2 outs and all 8 RBIs coming from the bottom two-thirds of the batting order. The first three in the line-up (Damon, Mientkiewicz and Manny) were a nauseating 0-12, but no matter - Varitek, Mueller, Youkilis and Cabrera all had 2 ribbies apiece.
Incidentally, I'm developing a sort of soft spot for Orlando Cabrera. It's completely irrational and unfounded, I know, but I find myself kind of inwardly rooting for his success. I need to give him a nickname, and I don't think "Treasure Troll" will cut it. Too cumbersome. I was thinking tonight that he kind of looks like Richard Seymour's Mini Me...maybe I could call him "Little Dick?" Yikes, no. I guess it will just come to me when the time is right.
Anyhow, it was nice to see Bronson Arroyo finally get the run support that he deserves. He had a perfectly reasonable game tonight, pitching 6 and 2/3 innings with seven hits, three earned runs and six strikeouts. This was more of the type of baseball that I was expecting to see on this homestand. I'd like to hope that the positive energy will carry over into tomorrow night, but the Face is taking the mound and we all know what a crapshoot that is.
Six Degrees of Seperation: I used to work with this crazy (but nice) drunk named Dan who was a college buddy of Kevin Youkilis. Neato. I guess.
Completely off topic: I get a happy, geeked-out feeling when Manny wears his socks up. I felt sure that a home run was on order tonight, especially during that nine or ten-pitch at bat in the sixth, but alas, Manny was 0-4 with 3 strikeouts. Ay ay ay. Is he ever gonna get his stroke back??