The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004


Pedro and Sox get a loss, but hey - you can't win 'em all. Posted by Hello

I'm not really qualified to write about this game because I didn't watch a single inning. I had a really, really frustrating night at work which included, among other things, my station being very busy with only a first-day intern to help me and burning my fucking ear with smoking hot oil. Don't ask. But let's just say that it hurt like a motherfucker. At 9:00 when I finally got a chance to take a breather I called Mike to tell him that the last table is already a half an hour late and I'm not sure what time I'll be home, and he's like "Well, don't hurry because the Sox are getting their ass beat." (Incidentally the table arrived a full HOUR late and then ordered a 7-course tasting menu, which fit perfectly into how my night was progressing.)
Anyhow, the Rangers lost as well, so no ground was lost in the WC standings. For those keeping an eye on the divisional race as well, and I am one, the Sox dropped one game back to 6.5.
Elsewhere, I - being the huge nerd that I am - have made a cd that I've been rocking the last few days comprised totally of songs that I associate with baseball and especially with the Red Sox - like songs I remember hearing over the PA, my favorite hitter's at-bat songs, that type of shit. Wanna see the playlist?
1. "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" by some old-ass barber shop quartet
2. "Yeah!" - Usher and Lil' Jon (Manny's batting song from the beginning of this year)
3. "Through the Wire" - Kanye West (just cause I like the sentiment.)
4. "What Da Hook Gon Be" - Murphey Lee (Pokey's song)
5. "Get Busy" - Sean Paul (Ortiz's from last year when I first started to notice what a sick hitter he was.)
6. "Jump Around" - House of Pain (Ortiz's song through the last part of 2003)
7. "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" - Jay-Z (cause the Sox are always brushing each other's shoulders off after homeruns.)
8. "Black Betty" - RamJam (Always played between innings at baseball games everywhere.)
9. "Crazy Train" - Ozzy Osbourne (Bottom of the seventh, 2 outs, bases loaded, Pedro on the mound, September 2003, Jacob's Field --- Grady approaches the mound to talk and "Crazy Train" starts playing, we're all going wild in the stands, Sox fans and Indians fans alike, glorious early autumn day with nary a cloud in the sky, and Pedro strikes out the last guy swinging. Sox win 2-0.)
10. "All Falls Down" - Kanye West (Cabby's song)
11. "Good Times" - Styles P. (you may remember this as the song that Manny got fined for playing over the PA on family day, all about guns and weed. Good choice.)
12. "Sweet Caroline" - Neil Diamond (well duh.)
13. "Boys of Summer" - Ataris
This isn't a comprehensive list of batting songs, obviously - I made the cd out of songs already in my cd collection/iTunes library, so I didn't include any of the redneck/metal shit that Trot and Millar always play. It's just the music that I like to hear, with the exception of RamJam and Ozzy.
So ya, in summary, I'm a huge nerd.

p.s. that pic at the top is my pedro baseball card that is stuck behind a sheet of plexiglass on my station at work. it is impossible to retrieve and will by my legacy after i quit.
p.p.s. the picture of manny eating a bigmac from today's globe is going to be my desktop background until i die.