The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Most of the time it's really, really cool that my husband and I are both big Sox fans. We get to spend a lot of quality time together watching games, we can wear each other's shirts and jerseys, and it's created some very sweet moments between us. Like when Ortiz hit that two-run double in game 4 of the ALDS, Mike and I jumped into each other's arms and we were so happy and relieved that we both were laughing and crying at the same time. And when we got home from the bar after game 7, I had to comfort Mike in the kitchen because he was even more angry and heartbroken and distraught than I was.

But on very few occassions it can be a bad thing. When we disagree on something Sox related it's seldom very pretty. I'm saying this because last night Mike started in on his Schilling-bashing again. "Fuck Schilling, he's got a bigger mouth than he can back up with actions," Mike said. "Well, Schilling carried the team for much of the first half, so why don't you show a little respect?" I answer. And it picks up from there. I told Mike that if he was going to be mad at Schilling for going into a slump and letting the team down, then he should be equally as mad at Manny who has also been Prison Bitch to the Baseball World lately. Which caused Mike to think that I was - God forbid! - Manny-bashing. So suddenly we're arguing about Manny's slump vs. Schilling's slump. And all of this after a taxing evening of arguing with my station partner at work! Finally I had to tell Mike that I wasn't going to talk about it anymore. "Whatever," Mike says. A few minutes of blissful silence. Then "I just want to make one more point about Schilling," Mike says. "I'm not talking about it anymore," I answer. He made his point anyway, but I forced myself not to listen. (A very hard thing for me since, as you can probably tell, I'm one of those people who love to argue.)

So ya, now I feel better.

Oh, and speaking of Schilling, it's not the Face tonight, it's Curt. Anyone else starting to get worried about Schilling's health, though? This came up in our arguement last night. What if he's headed for the DL? Who knows.