The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Friday, August 20, 2004

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My appetite for the frivolous has been stymied lately by the death of my station partner's older brother on Wednesday. I only met Simon once, around Christmas-time of last year. He was 29, vibrant, very animated, very happy. It's sad to think of someone so young and talented passing away so tragically early, but as I barely knew him the actual fact of his passing isn't what has made me depressed. It's the effect it's had on Jonathan that has me all torn up.

It's in a time like this that you realize the full worth of someone's friendship, just by your reaction to their need. From the first moment that I was told by chef over the phone that there had been an emergency at work and I needed to come in because Jonathan's brother died I have been thinking of little else but Jonathan. My first instinct was to call him as I was hurrying to work, but I knew that the news was so fresh and so devastating that he would need to be alone, that he was probably in shock and would be incapable of comprehending an offer of support. Since then we've talked a bit on the phone, left voice mail messages for each other, told each other how much we mean to one another. I've been racking by brains wondering what I can do for him - does he need to be left alone? Does he need to talk? He's been off of work, naturally, so we're apart and I feel helpless to do anything for him. But in the face of the enormity of losing his older brother, what can I really do? Right now I'm just keeping my cell phone on me all the time to be there when he finally decides to reach out for more than a quick chat, but it's a bit agonizing to know how much pain he is in and to know that there isn't much I can do to help.

So, my thoughts being with him much of the day, it's been a little hard to get excited about baseball. Suddenly everything seems so inconsequential. It's hard for me to take it all very seriously right now. All I can say is that we're all very lucky to be able to afford to get so pissed off at Dale Sveum or so heart-broken over a Sox loss...it could be the least of our worries.