The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Friday, July 23, 2004


Off work early on a Friday night, just in time to watch the game!!! Can you believe that??? Go Sox!!! Posted by Hello

6th inning:  I went home early for this???  Fucking Kevin Millar couldn't catch a goddamn cold, Schilling suddenly became the Yankees prison-bitch...Fuck this team.  This is why they're not getting anywhere near the post season.  What a bunch of assholes.
(later)...Okay, so Millar just hit his second homer of the game.  Big deal.  The 2003 Red Sox would make an amazing comeback...the 2004 Red Sox are dead in the water.  When they make their next cute little movie, that should be the title.  "Dead in the Water, the 2004 Red Sox." 

top of the 8th: hmmm....7-6 MFY now...goddamn Manny grounding into his millionth double play (13th, second in the league)... Leskanic up....

middle of the 8th:  crazy-ass Leskanic pitches 1-2-3 inning with Rivera warming up in the bullpen.  I'm torn between praying to a non-existant god or just drinking more beer to kill the pain...

top of the 9th:  Millar, I take it back.  Three homers in this game, the score tied at 7-7......Foulke blows another save.  Go-fucking-figure.  8-7 now, with the big bats due up against Rivera.  I'm glad I drank that beer.

Game summary:  Another inexcusable loss for the Sox.  Of all things, I didn't expect a complete and total breakdown from Schilling, but it happened.  (Whatever happened to "watching this team kick a lot of asses over the next few games," huh??)  The Sox battled back more than I expected, but to no avail.   In true 2004 Red Sox fashion they had back-to-back strikeouts to end the eighth inning with men on second and third and the score tied at 7.  In-ex-cusable.   I'm so goddamn tired of this.  It's getting to the point where I almost  don't want to watch anymore.  I just need to give up all hope, it will make it all so much easier....If I just never expect them to win then it won't bother me so much when they lose, right?
Manny in particular turned in another piss-poor performance, his third in a row - 2 strikeouts, one groundout into a double play and a fly-out.  Trot was 1-4 with a run scored, and the cringe-inducing offensive combination of Gutierrez and Bellhorn was 0-3, with Bellhorn managing to reach first base on a fielder's choice.
Ortiz hits two triples in a game?  Big deal.  Millar hits three homers on consecutive at-bats?  So fucking what.  None of that shit matters if this team can't manage to win.  Instead of that tired-ass baseball cliche of "finding ways to win," the Sox continue to find new and heart-breaking ways to lose.
The season ends here.

 
P.S.  Some things I forgot to mention: 
1) Posada was out.
2) I can't believe that Jason Giambi is trying to play everyone's heart strings with his mystery ailment...cancer tests, please.  Let's see....symptoms include fatigue, loss of bat speed, loss of power, weight loss..........sounds like good old steroid withdrawal to me!   Fuck you, Giambi.
3) I miss East Coast Agony!!! (Down for awhile due to technical difficulties.)  Big K, come back!  Pleeeeease!
4) Chances are that I won't be posting tomorrow since fricking FOX broadcasts the Cubs game in my particular region of the country, and even though we paid $150 for the MLB Extra Innings package I will still miss tomorrow night's game.  Curses.