The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

I've been so angry for so long that I just feel numb right now. When I walked into our apartment last night and saw Mike sitting at the computer in a deathly silent apartment, I knew right away what had happened. The Sox blew it again. We didn't watch last night's game, we didn't even watch ESPN - we watched a biography of John Wayne Gacy on A&E. It's like we were in post-2003 ALCS mode: for about three or four days after Oct. 16, 2003 my husband and I couldn't watch ESPN, couldn't look at Sports Illustrated or even at the sports section of the Cincinnati Enquirer, couldn't watch the World Series - everything was just too painful. Last night was like that. It was truly depressing. We were even talking about what moves they should make next year, like the season is already over.
I was asking myself (again while playing Grand Theft Auto - is it bad that I do most of my philosophizing and mulling over of life while controlling a man running through a city with an AK47 in his hands?) what was worse, losing in the 11th inning of the 7th game of the ALCS, or being out of contention before the All-Star break. I think that the Game 7 scenario is worse. So, um, at least we have that going for us...