The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Curse of the Bumbino. My husband and I were walking into our apartment the other day after eating lunch at the bomb-ass Cuban restaurant down the street when some crackhead bum walked by and asked us for some money. After telling him no, like we always do, the bum asked "Are you really Boston fans?" Mike and I were both wearing batting-practice model Sox hats and Mike had a Patriots t-shirt on - the bum must have been a rocket scientist or something. The bum was like "I'm sorry for you guys, that team ain't never gonna win shit, you ain't never gonna win shit!" Maybe so, but at least I have a fucking house and a job at which I earn my own money.
Anyway. Mr. Useless returns. Trot about a week away. Williamson's return appears to be imminent...things are looking up!!! Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch the past two games because I'm an idiot. Once I forgot to set the VCR, and tonight I left a public library copy of "Julian Donkey Boy" by Harmony Korine in the VCR and I'm $80 dollars lucky that it didn't get recorded over.
By the way, regarding Nomar. I know that it's not particularly "in fashion" to talk ill of Nomar now that everyone wants to slob his knob because he hasn't played all year, but I've never been one to cave into fashion (just take a look in my closet if you want proof.) So Nomar's back - whoop-dee-friggin-doo. I'm going to buy one of those gizmos that the coaches use to keep track of pitch counts and use it to record the number of times that guy pops out. I might even get two and keep track of how many times he walks. Which gizmo do you think will get the biggest work-out?? I look to Nomar's return to give the team a shot in the arm and - let's face it - more offensive reliability than, say, Cesar Crespo. Having Nomar back for the rest of this season definitely isn't a bad thing. But I neither expect nor want this guy back on the team in 2005. Some Boston writer - I think it was Tony Massarotti - was saying how now Red Sox Nation knows what it will be like without Nomar, trying to work my heartstrings. Please. Ya, life without Nomar has been a real nightmare - the Sox only have the second best record in the AL and have had the best defensive shortstop in the league as well, woe is us, what shall we do. Let some other team overpay that schlub.