The Boston Red Sox: Defenders of the 2004 World Championship!! "Whoever plunges into his experiences with the momentum of hope, will remember so that he cannot forget." - Soren Kierkegaard.

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Okay. First things first. I was able to attend my first Sox game of the year on Monday. Unfortunately the game turned out to be a pathetic 2-1 loss against the Cleveland Indians. The bats were dead, people. D-E-A-D. Except for David's RBI double off the centerfield wall and Tek's double there really wasn't any excitement. And let me take a minute to say what a bunch of rednecks people in Cleveland are. Both times I've made trips up there the Jake has been filled with zit-faced, buck-toothed, backwards-ass Missing Link types. Some hillbilly behind me actually stood up and screamed "Ortiz, go back and live in the trees!" during Ortiz's last at-bat. Fucking ridiculous. I ended up getting into a confrontation with the gap-toothed appalachian fourteen-year old bride and her pizza-faced boy friend sitting next to us over the fact that Omar Vizquel failed to run out a grounder to short, saying that I didn't understand how come Vizquel could get away with being a lazy ass while Manny Ramírez couldn't. The only response I got was (stick your lower lip under your upper teeth, stick your upper teeth out as far as you can while tucking up your upper lip and say with your best hick accent:) "Omar don't get booed in Cleveland!" In any case, we had cool seats - front row, right/center field. I am forever grateful to my friend Lacey who was cool and spontaneous enough to actually drive my crazy ass up to Cleveland when I had only suggested the idea two hours earlier. Hopefully next time I get to see the Sox in Fenway with Paulie and Allie they will actually win that game.
Um, other news...Speaking of winning, it was a real relief to walk into the house last night and see that the Sox were finally on top. Hopefully last night was a sign that the bats are going to wake up again. Trot, Nomar - please come back!! I can't stand to watch another game with Crespo, McCarty, Reese and Bellhorn all in the line-up at the same time. Dare I even mention Brian "AA" Daubach. Nothing is more heart-sinking than watching the Sox battle the bases loaded only to find that the next batter is Brian "the Rally Killer" Daubach.
I feel like I should say something about the whole Pedro situation, but I can't really come up with anything. I blame his big fucking mouth for the 5-game losing streak. I think he's a selfish, whining bitch and I'm tired of him trying to hold the fans hostage to wring more money (which as of now he doesn't deserve) out of the Sox organization. Maybe if he didn't have a 4.4 era, an often dead-looking fastball and a shoulder held together with duct tape and chewing gum. Down with millionaire whiners!!! It was kind of sweet to see his boyfriend try to help Pedro out by volunteering to defer 5 mil a year toward Pedro's salary. I hope that makes Pedro feel extremely bad about himself. I know that if I was walking around the kitchen demanding a raise and bad-mouthing chef and one of my co-workers offered to give me an extra dollar-an-hour raise out of their own paycheck I would feel like a big douchebag.